L.A. Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Is Exposed As A Hardcore Racist

LA TIMES

L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who for 30 years has presided over the city’s second NBA franchise, became the object of national outrage and the target of an NBA investigation Saturday after allegedly making derogatory remarks about blacks.

In an audio recording, released by celebrity gossip site TMZ, a person identified as Sterling argues with his girlfriend, criticizing her for posting a picture of herself on Instagram posing with Lakers legend Magic Johnson.
FOR THE RECORD:
This article says Mayor Eric Garcetti issued a statement “condemning the billionaire.” In fact, the statement condemned the alleged remarks of the billionaire.
“It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people,” Sterling allegedly says, later adding, “I’m just saying, in your … Instagrams, you don’t have to have yourself with, walking with black people.
“Don’t put him on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don’t bring him to my games.”
The release of the recording came after the Clippers’ best regular season and on the eve of Game 4 of the first-round playoff series with the Golden State Warriors. It touched off a furor, with Clippers fans as well as Miami Heat star LeBron James and other top players criticizing Sterling.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti issued a statement condemning the billionaire, who turned 80 on Saturday.
Clippers Coach Doc Rivers was visibly angry at the recording’s content and the distraction it caused.
“I think the biggest statement we can make as men — not as black men, as men — is to stick together and show how strong we are as a group, not splinter, not walk,” Rivers said. “It’s easy to protest. The protest will be in our play.”
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told reporters in Memphis, Tenn., the remarks were “truly offensive and disturbing” and said the league intended to conduct an investigation into the recording’s authenticity that would “move extraordinarily quickly,” possibly concluding in the next few days. Silver said Sterling would not attend Sunday’s game at Oracle Arena in Oakland.
Silver would not comment what action the league would take if an investigation establishes Sterling made the comment. But it could include a hefty fine or suspension. A demand that he sell the team is unlikely.
TMZ did not say how it obtained the recording. The Times has not verified the recording for its authenticity.
The woman on the recording, who identifies herself as Mexican and black, was said to be V. Stiviano, who is in her 20s and who has often been seen at Sterling’s side. In a lawsuit filed last month, Sterling’s wife, Rochelle, contends her husband showered Stiviano in money and expensive cars, and that he had been having an affair with her for four years.
Clippers President Andy Roeser released a statement that questioned the authenticity of the recording and the motives of Stiviano, who he noted is the defendant in Rochelle Sterling’s $1.8-million embezzlement case.
Roeser claimed that after the lawsuit was filed, Stiviano told Donald Sterling that she would “get even.” The team executive also said what was stated on the recording “is not consistent with, nor does it reflect [Sterling’s] views, beliefs or feelings.”
Rivers said he would speak for his Clippers players regarding the controversy. During a 45-minute team meeting Saturday morning, he said, his players voiced their displeasure over the remarks.
“No one was happy about it,” Rivers said at the practice court at the University of San Francisco, before alluding to the unity among his white and black players. “J.J. Redick was just as [mad] as Chris Paul and that’s the way it should be.”
Players considered wearing black socks or armbands in protest during Sunday’s game but worried about being viewed as radical.

DA CHICKEN SHACK

We here at Da Chicken Shack don’t respect Doc Rivers or any player who plays for an openly racist owner. In Donald Sterling’s rant he spoke on giving these blacks food and shelter and when they go play ball for his organization they are only backing his statements up. Snoop Dogg and Lil Wayne both released viral videos denouncing Sterling as did Barack Obama.

 

Advertisements

Earthquakes Have Rattled The West Coast Over The Last Month

Earthquakes Have Rattled The West Coast Over The Last Month

USA Today

LOS ANGELES — More than 100 aftershocks continued to rattle Southern California on Saturday after a stronger earthquake the night before displaced dozens of residents.

Among the strongest aftershocks, the U.S. Geological Survey reported a magnitude-3.4 struck at 9:02 a.m. PT Saturday, centered close to La Habra near Los Angeles, which took the brunt of the larger quake Friday night.

The strong earthquake was felt widely across the region shortly after 9 p.m. PT Friday. The USGS said the epicenter was 1 mile from Brea, located about 20 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, and 3 miles from Rowland Heights and Fullerton. The main quake was preceded by two foreshocks registering at magnitudes 3.6 and 2.1, scientists said.

USGS seismologist Lucy Jones at CalTech in Pasadena told the Los Angeles Times that the 5.1 quake has a 5% chance of being a foreshock of an even larger quake.

“There could be even a larger earthquake in the next few hours or the next few days,” she said.

A number of residents in the area were displaced by the temblor. Police Lt. Mike Chlebowski told the Los Angeles Times that at least eight homes and 20 apartment units were red-tagged in Fullerton because they were deemed unsafe to occupy.

Some apartments and businesses were lightly damaged by the quake in La Habra, where about 38 residents spent the night at a Red Cross shelter.

“From 20 to 30 businesses suffered broken plate glass windows, many of them along Whittier Boulevard,” La Habra Police Sgt. David Crivelli told the Los Angeles Times. “There were also some apartments with stucco damage and leaking water.”

Southern California Edison reported power outages to nearly 2,000 customers after the quake. The Los Angeles Times reported that more than 800 homes and businesses remained without power as of Saturday morning.

The quake triggered a rockslide that closed Carbon Canyon Road in northern Orange County near the center of the quake, the California Highway Patrol and Brea police reported. The rockslide caused a car to overturn, and the people inside the car sustained minor injuries. As of 9 a.m. Saturday, that roadway remained closed, the Orange County Register reported.

The quake was felt as far south as San Diego and as far north as Ventura County, according to citizen responses collected online by the U.S. Geological Survey. Several people who live in the area near the quake posted pictures on social media showing broken glasses and dishes that tumbled from shelves or cabinets.

“Tonight’s earthquake is the second in two weeks and reminds us to be prepared,” said L.A. Mayor Garcetti. “The Los Angeles Police and Fire Departments have conducted an assessment and report no damage in the city.”

Tom Connolly, a Boeing employee who lives in La Mirada, the next town over from La Habra, said the magnitude-5.1 quake lasted about 30 seconds.

“We felt a really good jolt. It was a long rumble and it just didn’t feel like it would end,” he told the Associated Press by phone. “Right in the beginning it shook really hard, so it was a little unnerving. People got quiet and started bracing themselves by holding on to each other. It was a little scary.”

Hall of Fame announcer Vin Scully was on the air calling the Angels-Dodgers exhibition game in the sixth inning at Dodger Stadium.

“A little tremor here in the ballpark. I’m not sure if the folks felt it, but we certainly felt it here in press box row,” Scully said. “A tremor and only that, thank goodness.”

Preliminary data suggest Friday night’s 5.1 magnitude earthquake occurred near the Puente Hills thrust fault, which stretches from the San Gabriel Valley to downtown Los Angeles and caused the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake, Jones said. The 5.9 Whittier Narrows quake killed eight people and caused $360 million in damage.

“It’s a place where we’ve had a lot of earthquakes in the past,” she said.

Friday’s quake hit a week after a predawn magnitude-4.4 quake centered in the San Fernando Valley rattled a swath of Southern California. That jolt shook buildings and rattled nerves, but did not cause significant damage.

Southern California has not experienced a damaging earthquake since the 1994 magnitude-6.7 Northridge quake killed several dozen people and caused $25 billion in damage.